Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Kathryn's Deep Map and Esssay

This is Kathryn's Deep Map and Essay

Where I Am

We all live in an environment that influences what we experience and who we become. However, very few of us take the time to analyze and reflect upon where we are. Being conscious of where we are, is as important as being conscious of who we are, and what we intend to become. In order for you-and other people-to truly understand how you came to be, you must take the time to dig deep and uncover your roots.

In my environment, everything revolves around my faith. For me, my faith in Christ is what’s most important to me. This faith can be found in several places in my environment. The most obvious one is church. Within the church, I have a sort of extended family. They aren’t related in the strict sense, but because of our common beliefs and our willingness to be there for each other, we have formed what you call a church family. Through this family, I have met some of the most extraordinary people I have ever known.

Another place that holds a dear place in my heart is Aurora, Nebraska; my hometown. Originally I was born in Worcester, Massachusetts. But for most of my life, I have lived in that quiet, small, and unique town of Aurora. My family and I came here because my Dad got a job here as a pastor for our church. And I couldn’t have asked to be sent to any place better. In this small town I have met people who I know will have an impact on me for the rest of my life. I have also seen the kind of character and spirit that this place has that I haven’t seen anywhere else. The people who live here have also carried on the tradition of having a tight knit community; a tradition that is often lost in many places nowadays.

The place in Aurora that has impacted me the most is Aurora High School. In this school system, I have been given numerous opportunities. I have been given opportunities in education, music, leadership, involvement in group activities, and in friendships. It was here that I learned many of life’s lasting lessons. And even though I will move on from there to do new and greater things, I will always look back on my experience in high school as being one that has shaped me for the better. If it weren’t for high school, I may have never gotten to know the friends I have now. Some of them became close friends that I love to hang out with. Others are the friends that I have in the classroom. I am certainly not as extraverted as most people, but I feel like I got to know many good kids at school. And many of them will be ones that I’ll never forget. I’ll remember those who were funny, serious, quiet, loud, athletic, artistic, musical, shy, confident, and calm. I’ll remember those who I would invite to movies, simply said “hi” to in the hallway, did projects with in class, and made memories with.

And of course all this wouldn’t be complete without taking a look at my home. For me, home is a very relaxing place (when I don’t have to do homework anyway). I have a Dad, Mom, and two sisters whom I love very much. In my home, the kitchen is the center for great home cooked meals and friendly conversation. My place of security is my room that is found in the basement. It’s painted a calming blue color and displays several of my collected knick knacks. My home has also been the location for many parties. Some of the most memorable were the Christmas parties we would throw each year. I can honestly say for me that “home is where the heart is.”

I have many places that have impacted who I am and who I will become. I have been blessed in that many of them have had a positive influence on me. And now I hope that I can do what I can to spread that positive influence to those whom I come across in the years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment